Home Funeral ResourcesEducational, inspirational and practical tools for creating healing and honoring the passage of our loved ones. Click here to view a free summary document we have compiled on home funeral care.
- Guides and Books
Crossings' Resource Guide: A step-by-step how to guide for home funeral care
Crossings has created an invaluable resource guide comprised of educational, inspirational, and practical tools for honoring the passage of our loved ones from this world to the next. Information includes procedural aspects of dealing with our dead, both legally and physically. This resource guide can be used to plan arrangements for the time of your own crossing.
It is our mission to educate about choices in funeral care to the extent that one day, everyone will know that they have the option to exercise their right to act as their own funeral director for a departed loved one. To that end, we wish to make this information available for free, and have made it available here as a downloadable pdf. If you are in a position and wish to make a donation to our work in support of our free resource guides, you may do so here.
A hard copy of the resource guide is available for $25 through Lulu, a self-publishing website. The sales of the resource guide help support our work.
- Alison's Gift
- This is the heartfelt story of 7 year old Alison's sudden passing and the founding of Crossings. It answers the "why" of home funeral care and serves as a beacon for all who desire more in an experience that is often bereft of meaning. This story shows that unimaginable loss can be survived, and more, that it can be a tool itself for healing when the soul of a loved one returns to life in Spirit.
The cost of the book is $21.00, including shipping
- Living into Dying
- A journal of Spiritual, Practical Deathcare for Family and Community
by Nancy Jewel Poer.
Every aspect of caring for the dead and dying is covered in this comprehensive book, from "Building a casket" to "Connecting with those who have died."
The book is available for $23.00 , including shipping
- A Family Undertaking
- by Elizabeth Westrate
Documentary Film in VHS format
Click here for a special discount link. This provocative documentary explores the complex psychological, cultural, legal, and financial issues surrounding an important and growing trend: the home funeral movement. It profiles several families who have made the decision to forego the typical mortuary funeral and instead care for their loved ones at home. This video challenges viewers to re-examine their own attitudes toward life's only inevitability: death.
- Click Here to View Cart and Complete Purchase
Links to Related Sites & Crossings Care Groups
Directories and Listings
- To join our listserv (a discussion group over email), please follow this link
- List of Home Funeral Guides Across the Country: www.homefuneraldirectory.com
- List of latest Green Burial Sites from Grave Matters Blog
- Forest of Memories (for a listing of green burial sites in the USA): www.forestofmemories.org
- The Funeral Site: www.thefuneralsite.com
Advocacy and Education
- Grave Matters has a weekly blog on home funeral/green burial matters: www.gravematters.us
- Funeral Ethics Organization: www.funeralethics.org
- Funeral Consumers Alliance: www.funerals.org
- The Green Burial Council: www.greenburialcouncil.org
- Final Passages: www.finalpassages.org
- Natural Transitions: www.naturaltransitions.org
- Bury me Naturally: www.ncnaturalburial.com
- Final Footprint: www.finalfootprint.com
Coffins, Shrouds, Urns, and Providers:
- A Fine Farewell: www.afinefarewell.com
- Blue Light Coffins: www.bluelightcoffins.com
- The Natural Burial Company: www.naturalburialcompany.com
- New England Burials At Sea: www.newenglandburialsatsea.com
- Shine on Brightly: www.shineonbrightly.com
- Sustainably Harvested Pine Caskets: www.greencasket.net
- Use the button below to make a donation to crossings (without purchasing anything)
Videos and Radio
Videos and Radio Interviews on Crossings and Home Funerals
"The Case for Home Funeral Care," an interview with Beth Knox from Crossings, from Maryland Morning (WYPR, Baltimore Maryland's NPR station), on May 19, 2010.